directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [server.xml] Discussion
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 17:41:38 GMT

On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:53 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Graham Leggett wrote:
>> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>
>>> I can't agree more :/ I already mentionned the fact that using
>>> spring + xbeans was most certainly a bad decision (IMHO), leading
>>> to more problems than solutions...
>>>
>>> But this might be just me :)
>>
>> I completely agree.
>>
>> The acid test is in the error messages: if a user gets a message
>> that makes no sense to an end user, then the software is
>> fundamentally broken. Spring moves lots of stuff that would
>> otherwise be caught by your compiler (using annotations and other
>> useful things) into the runtime, and this means end users hit the
>> bugs, not the developers.
> <personal opinion>
> I will go a bit forward (and it's not totally related to ADS) :
> IMHO, Spring itself is just not the way to go when you want to offer
> a solution which is not embeddable only. It does not make sense.
> I think that the DI/IOC approach has been stretched far too much.
> From a cool techno, very usefull when you want to develop a
> pluggable system, that's just fine. Otherwise, it's just following
> the buzz, and abusing the idea badly.
> </personal opinion>
>
> From the ADS pov, I don't think we will have time to change
> anything, unless we spend a serious amount of time defining a better
> solution in the next few months. This can be discussed too...

Several people on this list sure like to complain about xbean-spring
but I still don't really understand what they would prefer.  IMO the
idea behind component oriented wiring frameworks like xbean-spring is
that all the exposed configuration knobs and wires are things that
reasonable users will want to turn or rewire.  xbean-spring gives you
a machine-syntax-checkable way to turn all the knobs and plug in all
the wires. (spring alone is not machine-syntax-checkable).  If you
don't like it there are several possibilities I can think of....

- too many or too few knobs and wires.  This means the components
aren't the right size, and is not really a problem with xbean-spring

- pointy brackets are too sharp and makes my eyes bleed.  xml really
sucks, but its widely understood, syntax-checkable, and doesn't
require compilation.  Wiring in java is very clear but requires
compilation.  Groovy builders are really nice but AFAIK don't really
have machine syntax validation.

Certainly in spring and I think in xbean-spring you can pull some
commonly modified properties out into a properties file.  Perhaps this
could be used to supply a "sysadmin-friendly" set of knobs to turn for
stuff like ports and enabled flags along with the full xml
configuration file.

thanks
david jencks