directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject ADS usage at the ASF
Date Fri, 26 Dec 2008 09:06:49 GMT
Hi, fellow developers !

There is a starting project at The Asf : using ADS to manage ASF user's.
This is a good news, obviously, and it fits into the 'eat your own dog
food' category. Right now, the server has been installed on a Solaris
zone, for experiment purpose, and we have injected something like 2000
committers into this instance.

The next step will be to use this ADS instance to manage access to
people.apache.org, svn, JIRA and some other tools. We won't switch all
the committers, as we may experiment some difficulties, so we decided to
ask for volunteers. Obvioulsy, we are volunteers ... So all the
Directory committers will be some of the first users of our great server :)

There are some areas where we will be challenged in the next two months
: we have to check that the server works well when the replication is
setup (we may have some bugs, and we will have to fix them fast).
Another aspect we have to improve the server is the disaster recovery
system : we should be able to restore the server even if the machine
crashed badly. This is something we already discussed in the past two
months, but it's now mandatory to have it working.

At the end, I'm confident that it will be a success. It's just a matter
to be around if some problems occur.

Oh, btw, merry christmas to all of you !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org