directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Aliases] Questions ...
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 00:22:41 GMT
Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> First, we have an open issue since 1.0 version : DIRSERVER-803
>> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-803). This is a special
>> case : we create an alias which is linked to an ancestor. Questions :
>> 1) Should we allow such aliases ? Currently, it's rejected and seen as a
>> loop.
>>

> Is it necessary for the standard certification? Then we need to allow it.

Yep it is :/

>> 2) If we allow such aliases, how should we detect that we are not
>> looping when doing a subtree search ?
>>

> We could put all DNs of traversed aliases (only aliases not normal
> entries) to a Set or Map during the search.

I would rather store a UUID, because it's shorter. But basically, yes :
we keep everything in a Set, and if we inf the new entry into the set,
that means we already went there => loop.

>> 3) What about cross referencing alias (ie alias A refers to alias B and
>> vice versa) ?
>>

> This should be valid. I think it depends on the alias dereferncing mode
> if this would cause a loop or not. So we need to check for a loop while
> finding the search base and while performing the search.

Same idea than below : we store the entryUUID into a set, and we check
for each new found entry.

>> We have options, as we maintain a cache internally with all the entries
>> which are not aliases ( a bit like what we do with referrals), but as we
>> may have order of magnitudes more non-aliases than aliases, this sounds
>> a bit weird to me. Shouldn't we create a cache of entries which are
>> referrals instead of the opposite ? This is what we do for the
>> referrals, and we initiate this cache when starting the server, reading
>> all the entries with the referral AT.
>>

> Yes, makes totally sense.
>
> Sorry, I'm to tired to answer more, maybe tomorrow.

thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com