directory-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Chu <...@symas.com>
Subject Re: Paged Search Control questions
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:55:38 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Howard Chu wrote:
> This was a part of the spec I mis-understood, clearly. It makes a hell
> of sense to consider that the sizeLimit is global, ad should be
> considered across the multiple paged searches. The funny part is that I
> have injected such a counter in the internal structure before asking the
> question, I don't know what for, and now, I see the reason. The
> reptilian part of my brain knew it ;)

Gotta love that, coding by instinct... ;)

>> MS AD is broken in this respect (which is particularly pathetic given
>> that some MS folks co-authored the spec, but so it goes).
>> I.e., when no control is present, the search result set will be the
>> smaller of the client's requested size limit, and any administrative
>> limits configured on the server. With the control present, the total
>> number of returned entries allowed is still the same, just that they
>> may be received by the client in smaller groups.

> On don't see where is the problem here ...

My paragraph above may have been a bit muddy. In general there's no problem here.

> so in the second case, the client will receive entries in PL sized
> groups, until we reach the server limit or the request limit ?

Right.

The problem I was alluding to with MS AD is that when a Paging control is
used, the server's sizeLimit is effectively ignored. MS AD has a default
sizeLimit of 1000 entries, but using Paging you can retrieve as many
1000-entry pages as you want, thus bypassing that limit. That's of course
completely wrong behavior, but that's MS for ya...

> That's the funniest part of the job : deal with other's errors when you
> already have enough of your own in your plate !

Yeah, keeps things from getting too easy I suppose. ;)

> Thanks Howard !

Any time. (Except when I'm in the wilderness without a good network connection :P
--
   -- Howard Chu