directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [server.xml] Discussion
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 13:53:25 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> I can't agree more :/ I already mentionned the fact that using spring
>> + xbeans was most certainly a bad decision (IMHO), leading to more
>> problems than solutions...
>>
>> But this might be just me :)
>
> I completely agree.
>
> The acid test is in the error messages: if a user gets a message that
> makes no sense to an end user, then the software is fundamentally
> broken. Spring moves lots of stuff that would otherwise be caught by
> your compiler (using annotations and other useful things) into the
> runtime, and this means end users hit the bugs, not the developers.
<personal opinion>
I will go a bit forward (and it's not totally related to ADS) : IMHO,
Spring itself is just not the way to go when you want to offer a
solution which is not embeddable only. It does not make sense.
I think that the DI/IOC approach has been stretched far too much. From a
cool techno, very usefull when you want to develop a pluggable system,
that's just fine. Otherwise, it's just following the buzz, and abusing
the idea badly.
</personal opinion>

 From the ADS pov, I don't think we will have time to change anything,
unless we spend a serious amount of time defining a better solution in
the next few months. This can be discussed too...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org