directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Norval Hope" <nrh...@gmail.com>
Subject stability of AD trunk
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 03:02:46 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

I've re-encountered a long standing problem with my AD < 1.5 version
of the code, due to the LDAP codec's handling of moderately complex
search filters (more below). However, I'm not having any luck getting
either vanilla http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/apacheds/trunk-with-dependencies
or the latter combined with
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/apacheds/branches/apacheds-mina2
working. I get miriad different failures, sometimes the "mvn install"
itself fails and sometimes I'm able to run
installers\apacheds-noarch\apacheds.bat successfully but can't bind to
the server because of an NPE due to some problem with the referral
interceptor (no referral manager is found).

I have, of course, being doing "mvn clean" and removing my repository
but have had no joy. I just wanted to know which combination you'd
recommend I focus on for the moment, I presume trunk-with-dependencies
+ apacheds-mina2  is working for you at the moment, right? Or is the
vanilla trunk working for you at the moment and my problems somehow
specific to my env?

At any rate the problem(s) I had were all caused to trying to submit a
fairly simple search:
"(&(objectClass=nisNetgroup)(|(nisNetGroupTriple=a*a)(nisNetGroupTriple=\28*,acc1,*\29)))".
I'm not able to verify which of these problems apply to the current
trunk but will list them for the moment anyway:
  1. The ldap codec had a serious bug parsing seach filters, so that
the search above was mangled into
"(&(objectClass=nisNetgroup)(|(nisNetGroupTriple=a*a))(nisNetGroupTriple=\28*,acc1,*\29))"
(notice how the OR was truncated after the first assertion) by the
time the request arrived to SearchHandler.messageReceived(). The
problem is due to the codec's parsing of the *s and actually affects
all nested ORs and ANDs. I have attached the patch but wanted to
reproduce the problem against the most up to date code before raising
a JIRA etc.
  2. There were multiple NPE problems, one was because
nisNetGroupTriple has no equality matching rule defined (even in the
official RFC as best I can tell), and hence no normalizer could be
found in SubstringEvaluator.

Can you please:
  1. try submitting the search filter above to your working server so
I can get a handle on whether any of these problems exist in the trunk
code
  2. guide me as to which version of the project to checkout (vanilla
trunk or trunk + apacheds-mina2) and / or how you'd recommend me
getting any patches (if they're required) to you in a way that won't
waste your time.

Thanks,
Norval