directory-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is 'kind' for ??
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 17:12:55 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny schrieb:
> Felix Knecht wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Working on externalizing strings I encountered a problem. Can please
>> anybody explain me what the variable 'kind' is for?
>> It's never read withing this function. The usage ATM seems quite
>> obsolete to me.
>>

> From RFC 4512, 2.4. Object Classes, the paragraph just before the last
> one :
>
> "Each object class is defined to be one of three kinds of object
> classes: Abstract, Structural, or Auxiliary."
>
> Basically, and Objectclass can have three different 'flavor' (or 'kind'
> ). The difference between abstract and auxiliary is subtile :
> an entry can have an auxiliary OC (it's pretty muxh as an interface in
> java), but not an abstract class without its extending structural or
> auxiliary ObjectClasses.
>
> Is this the kind of information you are looking for ?

I'm sorry to say no, even if the information is helpful. But you helped me to find it - I
was just blind after so many
externalizing today ...

The part I was looking for is here:
kindText = toolkit.createText( mainClient, getNonNullString( kind ), SWT.NONE );

I thought that the variable 'kind' was nowhere used in a reading way ...

Thanks again
Felix