directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is 'kind' for ??
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 17:00:22 GMT
Felix Knecht wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Working on externalizing strings I encountered a problem. Can please anybody explain
me what the variable 'kind' is for?
> It's never read withing this function. The usage ATM seems quite obsolete to me.

 From RFC 4512, 2.4. Object Classes, the paragraph just before the last
one :

"Each object class is defined to be one of three kinds of object classes: Abstract, Structural,
or Auxiliary."

Basically, and Objectclass can have three different 'flavor' (or 'kind' ). The difference
between abstract and auxiliary is subtile :
an entry can have an auxiliary OC (it's pretty muxh as an interface in java), but not an abstract
class without its extending structural or auxiliary
ObjectClasses.

Is this the kind of information you are looking for ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org