directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Partition configurations [was Re: [CONF] Apache Directory SandBox: Draft - ... ]
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2008 01:14:57 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> I can't say I regard xbean-spring as an ideal solution, but I don't
> really understand why people think its any harder to use than plain
> spring.
Because it is !!! Instead of having a single file where you have all you
need to get connected to the source, you have to permanently go back and
forth from conf to source, guessing what could be the class associated
with a name in the conf file, and what can be the attributes you can
configure.
> Unless you are changing the tree structure of the configuration
> javabeans you don't even need to change the "annotations" to get the
> updated schema, just build....
We don't change the annotation. Never. However, that does not make
things easier.
> at which point you can use your favorite xsd-aware editor to check on
> the validity of your xml configuration before you start up the server
> and discover you misspelled an attribute name.  What am I missing?
well, I don't have any favorite XSD editor, and I don't have time to
absorb the messy XSD syntax. That's one of the reason I find it
overkilling.

May be it's just me, but from discussions I had with other projects as
well, XBeans may be a cool techno, but certainly not something which
makes developpers life easier. IMHO.

Sorry, David, I just dislike xbeans, it makes my life miserable when it
comes to manipulate ADS configuration...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org