directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Partition configurations [was Re: [CONF] Apache Directory SandBox: Draft - ... ]
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2008 00:11:21 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> <snip/>
> As far as I understand it, the alias in the configuration file is not
> necessaryeven a configuration file is not necessary (if you run
> ApacheDS in embedded mode).
True, as we will then bootstrap the server from hardwired values.

> The entry representing the name/suffix has not to be injected into the
> server, if the underlying partition implementation already has this
> entry.
You inject this entry only once, when creating the partition (and even
then, it's not necessary, but you won't be able to read the partition
itself)

> Emmanuel, would you please take a look at my minimal partition
> implementation,
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSBOX/Draft+-+How+to+write+a+simple+custom+partition+for+ApacheDS

> which simply carries one entry
>
> dn: ou=helloWorld
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: organizationalUnit
> ou: helloWorld
>
> It has not been injected, because it is the only one it has, and it is
> created during the init-method.
>
> Any feedback would be helpful. Is this a valid partition (and yes, I
> have created something completely useless from a storage point of view
> -- it is just a starting point for all the guys trying to write their
> own partition).
>
> I already have some questions. But I plan to stabilize my minimal
> example first in order to have something for the docs. In have a
> second example, which publishes the System.properties and their values
> as a tree in order to show more methods from the partition interface.
I'm afraid that I introduced some confusion with my previous mail. I was
talking about the partition from the user point of view, not from the
developper point of view. In this case, yes, you have to implement the
Partition interface.

What users want, mainly, is to define their own partition like, say,
"dc=my-company,dc=com", and inject data into it, not defining a new
partition with a SGBD storage (I guess).

I agree this is confusing, as we are mixing the partition we have in the
conf and the Partition interface, with all the magic needed to store
data and search into it.

Am I right about tis possible confusion ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org