directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: Partition configurations [was Re: [CONF] Apache Directory SandBox: Draft - ... ]
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:29:43 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for snapping in the discussion! I will add some of your valuable
information to the documentation.

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> I will try to add some clarification about those partitions, because
> it's not really something trivial.
>
> First, let's assume we are talking about 1.5 here.

Yes we do.

> A partition is nothing more than, to take an analogy, a mounting point
> on a Unix filesystem. It has a root name (a DN in our case, and the
> underlying storage can be whatever we want, byt from now on, a JDBM
> based storage (we can perfectly set a partition to use BDB JE, as Kiran
> implemented it, or Oracle, or MySql, as some of our users did).
>
> The main difference is that a partition _must_ be associated with an
> entry. It's npt different from what you have on OpenLdap anyway.
>
> So let's sum up. You need :
> - a name ("dc=example,dc=com", for instance)
> - an alias in the configuration file ("example", here)
> - an underlying storage ( <jdbmPartition id="example"...)
> - and an entry which has to be injected in the server :
> dn: dc=example,dc=com
> ObjectClass: top
> ObjectClass: domain
> dc: example
>
> and that's pretty much it.

As far as I understand it, the alias in the configuration file is not
necessaryeven a configuration file is not necessary (if you run ApacheDS
in embedded mode).

The entry representing the name/suffix has not to be injected into the
server, if the underlying partition implementation already has this entry.

Emmanuel, would you please take a look at my minimal partition
implementation,

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSBOX/Draft+-+How+to+write+a+simple+custom+partition+for+ApacheDS

which simply carries one entry

dn: ou=helloWorld
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: helloWorld

It has not been injected, because it is the only one it has, and it is
created during the init-method.

Any feedback would be helpful. Is this a valid partition (and yes, I
have created something completely useless from a storage point of view
-- it is just a starting point for all the guys trying to write their
own partition).

I already have some questions. But I plan to stabilize my minimal
example first in order to have something for the docs. In have a second
example, which publishes the System.properties and their values as a
tree in order to show more methods from the partition interface.

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan