directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: Partition configurations [was Re: [CONF] Apache Directory SandBox: Draft - ... ]
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:42:44 GMT
Hi Felix,

Felix Knecht wrote:
> Following the ML I recently saw multiple questions about writing a custom partition so
there seems to be an interest in
> this topic.
>
> Now I'm just following Stefans (big thanks about this howto!) and hit on the needs to
change the server.xml when adding
> a custom partition.

You have found my first tries very fast :-)

For the others (warning: work in progress!):
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSBOX/Draft+-+How+to+write+a+simple+custom+partition+for+ApacheDS

I have just started to write this tutorial on te topic; I have noticed
the many questions as well. And I was curious how the most simple custom
partition (hello world) would look like.

> I'd like to raise a discussion about this.
> Is it really needed to do this?!

I think, adding some lines to the server.xml is OK, and I guess it is
also necessary to do that currently. A custom partition is not really a
module. You may use the same custom partition implementation several
times within one server configuration. This is what we currently do with
the JDBM partition implementation.

> Isn't a new partition just a module to plug into an existing server? Wouldn't it be nice
just to drop in the jar
> containing the custom partition and restart the server?
> No need to change any configurations?

As I said; it would be OK for me to add the partitions to the
configuration manually . This is not a regular task. Currently, it is
not easy the modify the server.xml, because it is a xbean / Spring
hybrid, and it is not very well documented.

> Why not let spring detecting all the existing partition modules for us?

The functionality you described would be feasible with OSGi as well.
This is a step (ApacheDS as OSGi bundle(s)) we plan for ages. A custom
partition implementation would exactly come into play like you have
described. But it has to be figured out how the instances (==
partitions) are handles. The best way would probably be to store the
whole configuration within the DIT anyway. No need for XML and Spring
anymore. But this is probably not reachable in the near future.

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan