directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ADS and transactions
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:54:37 GMT
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 1:51 AM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi Graham,

> Recently I have been looking at how feasible it would be to have LDAP
> transactions included within an XA infrastructure like JTA.

Transaction in a LDAP server is far from being easy... Now, it depends
on wht a transaction means. If you want to garantee that a
modification operation has been either completed or rollbacked, that's
something we can implement, but it will be kind of costly, as we have
lots of cache, and I'm not even sure that the underlying database is
supporting transaction.

However, this can be discussed.

> I understand that a draft RFC exists (or maybe an RFC?) that implements
> transactions in LDAP, is this on the cards for ADS?

No, not atm. But we have implemented a mechanism called ChangeLog,
which works a bit like subversion (each modification is stored with a
rev number, and it can be rollbacked). This may be a good base to
support transaction, assuming that as it's a multi-user system, you
will have to deal with cross-modifications...

And don't expect people who claim that they support transaction on top
of LDAP (like Spring-Ldap) to save you : this is simply not something
we can call 'transaction' ;) (they call it "client-side transaction",
whatever that means ...)

Hope it helps (a bit ...)

--
Regards,