directory-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Mertens <robert.mert...@intellus.se>
Subject RE: Usage of JDBM : Experience feedbacks
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:14:54 GMT
Hi Florent,

I am using the JDBM as a part of the Apache Directory Server. I am switching from OpenLDAP
because it's Berkeley did not always shut down properly. The JDBM seems to do the job, but
does not seemt to handle emergency shutdowns very well(or is it the Apache Directory Server?).
The BTree was corrupted when shutting down the machine it is running on when we, at the same
time, performed actions against the Directory Server where we deleted entries. The result
was that the Directory Server could not be restarted again without replacing the JDBM. I am
waiting for Apache Directory Server team to implement a failover model for such occasions.

Best Regards

Robert Mertens
+46(0)702-793778
________________________________
From: Florent Gratta [florent.gratta@sicap-france.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:20 AM
To: dev@directory.apache.org
Subject: Usage of JDBM : Experience feedbacks

Hi All,

I am currently Project Lead at Sicap, a Swiss company which designs softwares for mobile operators
and the mobile network world in general.

We are going to use a BTree library to index entries of csv files. We have identified JDBM
library (http://jdbm.sourceforge.net/) and we have seen that you are currently using it in
Apache Directory.

As there is no more tracker activity on this project and it seems that it is the same thing
for support, we would like to know if JDBM is stable:

==>       Have you encountered problems when you use this library in multithreaded mode:
Several concurrent inserts at a time?

==>       What is the behaviour of the library when we shut down with emergency? Is it
robust? By this way, does BTree file could be corrupted?

==>       Do you encountered performance lack in some cases?
==>       Is there some limitations or lacks: Size of the index chain, cache size etc ...
==>       Etc ...

We are very interested on your feedbacks and experiences on JDBM library usage ?

Thank’s a lot,

Kind Regards,

Florent GRATTA

Framework Project Leader, DeVelopment and Operation, Sicap France SAS

Phone +334 37 37 69 96, Fax +334 37 37 69 99, Mobile +336 81 76 58 02

Postal Address: 50 rue de marseille, 69007 Lyon, France

mailto: florent.gratta@sicap-france.com, http://www.sicap.com, Skype: florent_gratta

delete this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in
this e-mail is strictly forbidden.