directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Presentation proposals for ApacheCon EU (23rd to 27th March) - CFP ends on October 24th
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:27:10 GMT
[Posting the response to dev, where it deserves to be]

Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> maybe LDAP alone and just browsing a bit in not exciting enough.
Sure. Even if we may have a slot if we announce a 2.0.
> What
> about setting up a real environment, using ApacheDS as backend and
> Studio as frontent? Some ideas:
> - Samba
> - SSO with Kerberos, SAML or OpenID
> - Authentication and authorization for httpd, Tomcat, Geronimo or Jetspeed

That could be a sexy prezo. Kerberos could be a hit, as there are not
that much impl outhere, especially in the OSS field. But there is a lot
to do to make it easy and sexy (=> addition to studio to help manage
servers, clients, etc). Anyway, this is certainly valuable
> Hm, last ApacheCon we had this discussion about using ApacheDS for ASF
> infrastructure. What about showing some real scenarios?
> - User database for SVN or Jira or Confluence?

Yep. Another good idea. I have drafted someething like OC and AT for
Apache, but we need more (some store procs, for instance). Nothing that
can't be finished by april.
> Another idea is to show if LDAP could be useful within a SOA (I have no
> idea yet). But therefore we need a DSML gateway first, I guess.

It's almost there. And, yes, that's also an idea, but a bit more complex.
> One more idea I have is how to use LDAP for Java persistance
> (Object-LDAP-Mapping). However there is no really good solution today,
> at least no one from Apache.
It may come. We have some ideas slowly cooked in the kitchen, but not
yet ready :)
> There Spring-LDAP,
Yuk...
>  I also played a bit with
> Datanucleaus (ex-JPOX), it is a nice approach to use JDO. It works for
> single objects and also for simple object graphs (User-Groups). However
> it is not really usable today as its performance if very poor.

I guess !
> Maybe it makes sense to take a look to our roadmap, so that we could
> focus on features that will be implemented till March.
>
> I hope others have better ideas?

Better ideas, I don't know, but I was thinking about presenting a
complete solution to design, build and test a LDAP installation. The
idea is to help a team to manage a LDAP integration project, from the
beginning (OC and AT definition with LdapStudio Schema manager), local
tests with ADS embedded into Studio, Unit tests defined into studio and
generated in order to be part of a project (with the ChangeLog system we
now have plus the tests system we also have), and some load tests with
JMeter. It's all about integration, but we have all the bricks. Could be
a good example on how to use ADS and Studio plus other Apache tools to
provide a good set of solutions for LDAP integration.

I will try to draft something around that.

Feel free to propose something too : I think that ADS for Apache might
be a good prezo, as it may be a good use case for many.

Thanks Stefan !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com