directory-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Embedding ApacheDS as a Web Application
Date Sat, 18 Oct 2008 20:36:47 GMT
Hi Stefan

> I thought about changing the same "embed-apacheds-archetype" to
> something with either "sample" or "webapp" in it in order to reflect
> that this is not the only way to embed it, but only one (simple) option.

NP. We can call it e.g. apacheds-webapp-archetype. I wouldn't call it just 'sample' because
an archetype should be a
well known expression to a maven user - at least you'll get easier hits fitting your needs
when doing a search on 'maven
archteype' than doing a search on 'maven sample' :-)

> But if it located in svn somewhere beneath a samples directory, it would
> be sufficient.
>
> Are all these parameters
>
> mvn archetype:generate -DgroupId=org.example \
>    -DartifactId=myProject \
>    -Dversion=1.0-SNAPSHOT \
>    -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.directory \
>    -DarchetypeArtifactId=embed-apacheds-archetype \
>    -DarchetypeVersion=1.0-SNAPSHOT
>
> mandatory or is it possible to provide defaults for some of them (for
> instance groupId, artifactId) in order to make the example even more
> easy to build?

I think it should be possible, but don't know how yet.
All the properties starting with 'archetype' are just needed to indicate which archetype shall
be used (it's like a
dependency in a pom).
If we have (and want) archetypes I'm quite sure that we can add them also to the maven archetype
list (see [1]) and make
it better and easier choosable.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/usage.html

>> I've absolutely no idea. I just saw your sample and thought that we
>> could migrate this also into a mvn build as all the
>> directory projects are now build with maven (finally studio does also,
>> thanks to Pierre-Arnaud).
>
> Good move. Thanks for doing that!

Your welcome :-)

>>> I would have favored a sub-project for samples, in which the ApacheDS
>>> embedded in a WebApp is one of them. What do others think?

Not sure IIUC but I wouldn't pollute the apacheds project with sample sub-projects - it's
containing already enough
sub-projects. I'd rather create a new module directory/[archetypes|samples]/{branches,tags,trunk}
for such stuff.
Archetypes should be released whereas samples have no need at all to be release.

>> Do we have other samples yet (sorry for this inocent question)?
>> I think if the samples are maven projects creating archetypes should
>> be the way to go.
>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-archetypes.html
>>

> There is some stuff for adding elements to the schema, but it does not
> contain code programmed against the ApacheDS API (only JNDI).
>
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/add-your-first-elements-to-the-schema.html
>

> But it would be nice to have the LDIF files somewhere in svn as well. It
> would be great to have more examples like the web app one. At least one
> for writing an extended operation, one for an intercepter, one for a
> partition (very ambitious ...).

I'm not sure about the difference of the terms sample and archetype. Most of your sample above
have to do with code.
We can add for each sample (if we can work it out) a single simple archetype containing a
running apacheds just
including one sample.

> Plenty of plans and not enough time :-(

Regards