directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: Embedding ApacheDS as a Web Application
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:33:24 GMT
Hi Felix!

Felix Knecht wrote:

> This is easy to explain:
> ATM the archetype plugin sin't deployed anywhere, so it's not downloadable. That's why
you need to checkout and build
> the archetype plugin first (and then you have it in your local maven repository).
> If once a snapshot or release is deployed somewhere you can add this location as well
to mvn archetype.... and that's it.
> -> Run one maven command and you have created a new maven project containing a sample
how to use embedded ApacheDS
> (corresponds to download and unzip your sample)
> -> Change into the project and run mvn install (corresponds to run ant script)
> -> in both cases you should get a war file you can deploy where ever you want
>
> At least I think your sample works like this.

Ah. I think I got it. If it archetype plugin is deployed somewhere there
would only one step (the second) for an end user in order to get the
sample built.

This sounds really good to me.

I thought about changing the same "embed-apacheds-archetype" to
something with either "sample" or "webapp" in it in order to reflect
that this is not the only way to embed it, but only one (simple) option.

But if it located in svn somewhere beneath a samples directory, it would
be sufficient.

Are all these parameters

mvn archetype:generate -DgroupId=org.example \
    -DartifactId=myProject \
    -Dversion=1.0-SNAPSHOT \
    -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.directory \
    -DarchetypeArtifactId=embed-apacheds-archetype \
    -DarchetypeVersion=1.0-SNAPSHOT

mandatory or is it possible to provide defaults for some of them (for
instance groupId, artifactId) in order to make the example even more
easy to build?

> I've absolutely no idea. I just saw your sample and thought that we could migrate this
also into a mvn build as all the
> directory projects are now build with maven (finally studio does also, thanks to Pierre-Arnaud).

Good move. Thanks for doing that!

>> The funny thing: The example was quite often cited in the mailing list.
>> This is why I tried to update it ...
>
> Me too ;-)
>
>> I would have favored a sub-project for samples, in which the ApacheDS
>> embedded in a WebApp is one of them. What do others think?
>
> Do we have other samples yet (sorry for this inocent question)?
> I think if the samples are maven projects creating archetypes should be the way to go.
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-archetypes.html

There is some stuff for adding elements to the schema, but it does not
contain code programmed against the ApacheDS API (only JNDI).

http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/add-your-first-elements-to-the-schema.html

But it would be nice to have the LDIF files somewhere in svn as well. It
would be great to have more examples like the web app one. At least one
for writing an extended operation, one for an intercepter, one for a
partition (very ambitious ...). Plenty of plans and not enough time :-(

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan