directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Shon Vella" <sve...@novell.com>
Subject Re: SOAP DSML Gateway
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:14:07 GMT

There are existing opensource DSML gateways that you may be able to
use, including one that is part of the  LDAP Class Libraries for Java
(JLDAP) contribution from Novell to the OpenLDAP project.

See:

http://www.openldap.org/jldap/
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/DSML_for_eDirectory_%28SOAP%29

You may be able to use that as is or at least as a starting point.

-Shon

>>> "Jeff MAURY" <jeffmaury@jeffmaury.com> 10/10/2008 10:55 AM >>>

Hello,

I may need in the near future a SOAP DSML gateway on top of ADS. So,
before developing it standalone, I would prefer work for the community
and therefore, I am interested about the ADS people remarks.
So please read my general design ideas and questions about it.

1) Web service stack
The standard way of developing Web Service in J2EE is to use JAX-WS
annotations. However, this JCP has a major drawback in my opinion: it
does not address the deployment phase, so there is no way to build a WAR
file that can be deployed to any J2EE container, each implementation
will have its own way of declaring the Web Services. So we have two
choices:
  - build an incomplete WAR and let's the user complete the task (not
my prefered given the complexity of J2EE)
  - use a specific open source WS stack like Axis2, CXF or Spring WS to
build the WAR. The pro of this solution is that we just need to deploy
the WAR file, the con is that is will not use the WS stack of the target
J2EE container.
2) Interface for ADS
Even if the first implementation will use LDAP to communicate with ADS,
I think we should address the case where the gateway will be embedded
into ADS (with Jetty, I've heard the work is planned to already
started). So my question is: is there an internal API inside ADS that
allows direct calls between a client and ADS ?
3) There is still an issue with the authentication: the DSML has an
Authentication element but it does not store the credentials, only the
identification of the user. So my recommandation is to extract the
missing information from the communication: password is basic
authentication has been done, certificate if Client SSL has been
used,.... I have seen that a DSML parser exists in the Studio, I think I
can reuse it with some small modifications.

Any remarks ?

Jeff MAURY

--
La mélancolie c'est communiste
Tout le monde y a droit de temps en temps

Miossec (2006)

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.lastfm.fr/listen/user/jeffmaury/personal