directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ldap.toString() returning a Normalized DN is an error...
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2008 07:39:22 GMT
Norval Hope wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> 1++
>
> This was definitely a pain in some of my code that needed to deal with
> both JNDI Names and LdapDN's but couldn't deal with them
> interchangeably, as in the LdapDN case the toString() result was, as
> you say, pretty useless from most purposes.

Yeah, I don't understand why I implemented the toString() methiod this
way, and stick with it for 2 years ... Sometime you have to step back
and look at the code from some distance to understand that something is
wrong...
> As it happens Pierre-Arnaud and I exchanged an email about whether
> this behaviour was still the case inf 1.5.4 a few weeks back. I have
> some really dim-distant memory of discussing this with you a long time
> ago too - am I mistaken, or did you start a round of tidying this up
> once before?

Not exactly. I initially started to implement the Paged Search Control,
needed to fix some code in the LdapProtocolHandlers to inject this
control, discussed about the way Referrals where handled and how we
should change it to make it easier to implement the control, and then
found that dealing with LdapURL where some DN with spaces are not
exactly handled the best way because we are using the toString() method
made me thing that the toString() method has to be changed.

Sometime you better not pull some strings :)

(btw, I still have to fix the typo you mailed me, but you'd better
create a JIRA, because it's buried in my mail stack ...)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org