directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Custine" <ccust...@apache.org>
Subject OSGi Packaging for ApacheDS
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:15:24 GMT
Hi Guys,
As an interim step to eventually deploying inside an OSGi container, I have
started working out packaging the jar files as OSGi bundles just to see how
much work it will be.  The idea is that in the short term nothing should
affect ongoing development because the bundle packaging is just some
modifications to the module pom.xml files which add the OSGi headers to the
MANIFEST.MF files at build time.

In doing this I have realized that there are quite a few cases of split
packages where two (sometimes three or more) projects have classes in the
same package.  This is important for the OSGi packaging because package
names are the primary descriptor for importing and exporting code from
bundles and if more than one bundle exports from the same package there is
quite a bit more work to maintaining the packaging configuration (in this
case, a plugin config in the pom.xml).  One big example is the
org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.* packages which are contained in
multiple partition implementations as well as apacheds-core.

So my first question is if this is something that we want to discuss and
start taking care of now?  There are several solutions obviously, and it is
quite possible that we can work around this with hand crafted packaging
descriptors for the OSGi bundles.  This is a bit of work however and long
term maintenance of the packaging will be much higher.  Other options
include re-organizing packages to have more unique structure (my personal
preference), or we could also combine some of the scattered code into
consolidated jar files.

Any input or alternative ideas?

Thanks,
Chris