directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff MAURY" <jeffma...@jeffmaury.com>
Subject SOAP DSML Gateway
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:55:53 GMT
Hello,

I may need in the near future a SOAP DSML gateway on top of ADS. So, before
developing it standalone, I would prefer work for the community and
therefore, I am interested about the ADS people remarks.
So please read my general design ideas and questions about it.

1) Web service stack
The standard way of developing Web Service in J2EE is to use JAX-WS
annotations. However, this JCP has a major drawback in my opinion: it does
not address the deployment phase, so there is no way to build a WAR file
that can be deployed to any J2EE container, each implementation will have
its own way of declaring the Web Services. So we have two choices:
  - build an incomplete WAR and let's the user complete the task (not my
prefered given the complexity of J2EE)
  - use a specific open source WS stack like Axis2, CXF or Spring WS to
build the WAR. The pro of this solution is that we just need to deploy the
WAR file, the con is that is will not use the WS stack of the target J2EE
container.
2) Interface for ADS
Even if the first implementation will use LDAP to communicate with ADS, I
think we should address the case where the gateway will be embedded into ADS
(with Jetty, I've heard the work is planned to already started). So my
question is: is there an internal API inside ADS that allows direct calls
between a client and ADS ?
3) There is still an issue with the authentication: the DSML has an
Authentication element but it does not store the credentials, only the
identification of the user. So my recommandation is to extract the missing
information from the communication: password is basic authentication has
been done, certificate if Client SSL has been used,.... I have seen that a
DSML parser exists in the Studio, I think I can reuse it with some small
modifications.

Any remarks ?

Jeff MAURY

--
La mélancolie c'est communiste
Tout le monde y a droit de temps en temps

Miossec (2006)

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.lastfm.fr/listen/user/jeffmaury/personal