directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Norval Hope" <nrh...@gmail.com>
Subject Problem in SearchHandler in AD 1.5.4 ?
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 07:01:04 GMT
Hi All,

Just had a question about SearchHandler as I'm reviewing to see if
some memory leaks I experienced in the old <1.5.0 release code base
have been resolved. As best I can tell (apologies if I'm missing
something) there seem to be some different probs in the new
implementation regarding calling of
session.unregisterOutstandingRequest( req ) (the old impl had some
probs in the similar but now defunct use of SessionRegistry):
  1. Note that SearchHandler.handleIgnoringReferrals() always calls
session.registerOutstandingRequest( req ) immediately on entry
  2. When it delegates to handleRootDseSearch() i don't see a
corresponding session.unregisterOutstandingRequest( req ) call, isn't
one required?
  3. I'm not sure what the right behaviour is for
handlePersistentSearch(), but I'd expect that logically
session.unregisterOutstandingRequest( req ) would need to be called
too (or in this case is the req considered to be outstanding
indefinitely?)
  4. In the other normal search cases, shouldn't
session.unregisterOutstandingRequest( req ) be in a finally block so
it is also called when exceptions are encountered?
  5. The old impl had a memory leak for searches when no results were
returned, as best I can tell the new cursor stuff doesn't suffer the
same problem but just wanted to throw this boundary case out there for
special consideration.

Thanks,
Norval