directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] [Shared] New low-level LDAP Protocol Connection Wrapper for Studio using the Shared classes?
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2008 14:35:42 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to share a few discussions I've had these days with Stefan S. and
> Emmanuel.
>
> I was talking to Stefan on IM on friday and we were wondering how we could
> improve the LDAP Browser and the Connection plugin.
> Stefan would like to get rid of the use of JNDI in Studio because of the
> problems we have with this API.
> He enumerated a number of benefits to using a client "LDAP protocol"
> oriented connection wrapper instead of the JNDI one:
>
>    - Direct access to the LDAP protocol
>    - Direct access to the result codes (we now must parse the
>    NamingException message)
>    - Access to the message ID
>    - Network settings (timeouts, etc.)
>    - Threading
>    - Referral handling (JNDI tries to be clever to manage referrals
>    internally, but we want to manage them manually)
>    - LdapDN handling is poor in JNDI
>    - You have to set weird environment variables to make it working
>    properly
>    - JNDI has no cancel operation, you must use ctx.close() to cancel an
>    operation
>
> We were wondering if the "Codec" classes in Shared would allow us to do
> such a thing.

Great because we need this API for virtualization and possibly delegated
authentication as well within the server.

> In the afternoon, I talked about this with Emmanuel who told me that most
> of the classes of Shared could be reused easily but also that we might need
> to add new ones (for SSL/SASL client authentication, or controls/extensions
> for example).

Yeah.

> He advised me to ask on the ML, so we can discuss things further and see
> what can be done with what we have today, and what we nee to work on to
> build this low-level LDAP protocol connection wrapper.
>
> WDYT?

I think we're talking about writing a modern LDAP API similar in nature to
the Netscape API to replace JNDI.  JNDI could use this API if it wanted to
as well but this is a less abstract, more specific API for LDAP.  The more
specific the API is the less surface area it will have.  The better it is to
comprehend and test.

I like the idea of doing this and leveraging the Entry API Emmanuel has
written to do so.  It will be nice to have it align with things we use in
Shared to save us the head ache and overhead of converting from one object
type to another for example.

This is value.  If you guys decide to embark on it then I would like to help
and get involved too.

We might have some issues with the codec but we can fix that as we go.

Alex