directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Studio] How to speed up build time?
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:16:30 GMT

On Sep 23, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org>
> wrote:
> Well, here's an idea let us see if we can adapt/configure it for our
> needs:
>
> Put the *help modules into a separate profile and have it activated
> by ? (see [1]). We just need to find an appropriate
> activator which fits our needs. We can have e.g. such a timestamp
> file (exist or not) to activate to 'help' profile. The
> question is just 'How to figure out if something has changed?".
> One possibility could be that we create such a file when doing a
> build and only delete it when running a new build
> including the 'clean' goal -> adapt the clean goal configuration in
> such a way that it deletes the timestamp file.
> The timestamp file needs to be added to svn:ignore and it's location
> can/should be in the *help modules root directory.
>
> As said, just an idea. Maybe there are better solutions.
>
> I must have catch the Maven way of thinking, because I was thinking
> about something pretty similar... Hehe.
>
> A special profile that gets triggered when we want, or based on a
> condition (a file existing [or not] somewhere).
>
> We'll see that after I'm done with the Manifests. ;)

In general the fact that a module hasn't changed doesn't mean it will
build: the stuff it depends on might have changed to break it.  Thus I
think CI builds should be complete builds of everything.

There's been activity recently in maven on enabling dependency based
partial builds.  IIUC most of this will be in maven 2.1-M2 (it's
apparently in trunk) and there's a plugin for earlier mavens.  I
haven't tried it personally yet.... the first experiment I made didn't
work and I didn't poke very hard to find out what was wrong.

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-reactor-plugin/

thanks
david jencks