directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Release studio-plugin
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:26:31 GMT

On Sep 17, 2008, at 2:21 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>> <snip/>
>> I don't completely agree, I think we need a vote for any release we
>> make to
>> the Maven repository.
>>
> This would be overkilling, IMO.

I think you should ask on legal discuss if you really want to do
that.  My understanding is that the legal foundation of the asf
involves the strict principle that all releases need to be voted on by
the pmc.  You might possibly be able to argue that the TLP pom doesn't
include any code or anything copyrightable so doesn't need a vote
(although I think such arguments are exceedingly weak and the danger
of releasing without a vote is far greater than the nuisance of a
vote) but IIUC anything with code in it definitely requires a vote.

>> Sometimes people have pending modifications on a project, and
>> having a vote
>> before releasing is a great way to avoid releasing something that
>> is not
>> complete.
>>
> Well, for common jars, I 100% agree (I'm thinking about shared). But
> for daemon, which is used by Server only, it does not seems to be
> necessary.
>> With a vote, the developer will be able to indicate that he needs
>> to apply a
>> few modifications before the release is OK.
>>
> It would be best to add a JIRA, and clean it before the release,
> when we start going for a release. With a pending JIRA, there is no
> way we can release.
>
> Generally speaking, we are not using JIRA enough for relases. Alex
> started to split the roadmap in small parts, and this is a good
> thing. Another good thing would be to add JIRAs for each items of
> those small parts. (I will try to do that today). The biggest
> advantage, beside that it helps us to avoid the situation you are
> describing, is that we will have a complet exposure of all the new
> added features, when we do the announcement.
>> Although, I agree on the fact that we can do grouped votes, like
>> the one I
>> did some time ago, where I launched two releases votes (one for
>> Studio and
>> one for Shared - as Studio depends on it) in a single thread

A vote can IIUC be on any set of stuff to release, however tenuously
related.  The important part is that everything that's released  gets
a vote.

thanks
david jencks