directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Studio] How to speed up build time?
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:28:09 GMT

On Sep 23, 2008, at 11:59 AM, Felix Knecht wrote:

> David Jencks schrieb:
>>
>> On Sep 23, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org
>>> <mailto:felixk@apache.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    Well, here's an idea let us see if we can adapt/configure it for
>>>    our needs:
>>>
>>>    Put the *help modules into a separate profile and have it
>>>    activated by ? (see [1]). We just need to find an appropriate
>>>    activator which fits our needs. We can have e.g. such a timestamp
>>>    file (exist or not) to activate to 'help' profile. The
>>>    question is just 'How to figure out if something has changed?".
>>>    One possibility could be that we create such a file when doing a
>>>    build and only delete it when running a new build
>>>    including the 'clean' goal -> adapt the clean goal configuration
>>>    in such a way that it deletes the timestamp file.
>>>    The timestamp file needs to be added to svn:ignore and it's
>>>    location can/should be in the *help modules root directory.
>>>
>>>    As said, just an idea. Maybe there are better solutions.
>>>

>>> I must have catch the Maven way of thinking, because I was thinking
>>> about something pretty similar... Hehe.
>>>
>>> A special profile that gets triggered when we want, or based on a
>>> condition (a file existing [or not] somewhere).
>>>
>>> We'll see that after I'm done with the Manifests. ;)
>>

>> In general the fact that a module hasn't changed doesn't mean it will
>> build: the stuff it depends on might have changed to break it.
>> Thus I
>> think CI builds should be complete builds of everything.
>>
>> There's been activity recently in maven on enabling dependency based
>> partial builds.  IIUC most of this will be in maven 2.1-M2 (it's
>> apparently in trunk) and there's a plugin for earlier mavens.  I
>> haven't
>> tried it personally yet.... the first experiment I made didn't work
>> and
>> I didn't poke very hard to find out what was wrong.
>>
>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-reactor-plugin/
>
> At first glance I don't see how the reactor plugin could help us. We
> have submodules which should be built only if there
> are any file changes in the specific submodule-

I probably don't understand the problem you are trying to solve.  I
thought the way one would typically use the reactor plugin was,
- I know I changed something in module X
- I want to see what breaks as a result
- so I start the build at X and build all the modules that depend on it.

This seems like what you are describing so I'm probably missing the
important point in your situation :-)

thanks
david jencks