directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [Studio] What's the better approch to move to Apache DS 1.5.4 in the Apache DS plugin?
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:27:16 GMT
Hi Felix,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org> wrote:

> I already asked the same question within another relation, but I'll rise
> it again as the problem has changed.
>
> Why not take another update URL if the server has changed its
> definitions. Let the user know (on the d.a.p/studio site) that a new
> version of the plugin is available, that the needs to do some user
> action for migration and that the update url has changed like e.g.
> http://subclipse.tigris.org/ ?

This would be a problem because Apache Directory Studio (RCP app) looks for
updates at this specific update site URL.
Same thing for all our already installed Features that list this specific
update site URL.

I think we need to reserve a new update site URL for every new "Major"
release. For Apache Directory Studio 2.0 for example. That's why I named the
update site URL with the "1.x" suffix.

If we consider the X.Y.Z version naming scheme, I would recommend to move to
a new update site URL only if the X part changes.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud