directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [Studio] What's the better approch to move to Apache DS 1.5.4 in the Apache DS plugin?
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:19:21 GMT
Hi Stefan,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org>wrote:

> I think that is not easy. If we package all jars into *one* apacheds
> plugin we will enter the class loading hell. How is this solved in WTP?
> There it is also possible to create instances of different Tomcat versions.

There will be absolutely no issue because each launch configuration used to
launch a server is a dedicated one, with its own classloader.
The jars are not accessed from the Apache DS plugin jar, but they are copied
in the plugin's folder in the workspace of the application.
I took a look at what was done in WTP before building the Apache DS plugin
and I followed almost the same architecture.
So, don't worry, on that part of the game, we're completely safe... :-D

> Another point: We should consider to release the Server jars as OSGi
> bundles to make it possible to just put them into the Studio/Eclipse
> plugins folder.

This will require a certain amount of work to get the Apache DS modules as
OSGI bundles I think. I remember discussing about that with Alex when we
were in the train back to Paris from ApacheCon Europe 2007. I think this is
something we'll need to do one day, because OSGI is so cool when it comes to
activating/de-activationg modules...

Pierre-Arnaud