directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject [Studio] [Shared] New low-level LDAP Protocol Connection Wrapper for Studio using the Shared classes?
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2008 12:37:48 GMT
Hi all,

I'd like to share a few discussions I've had these days with Stefan S. and
Emmanuel.

I was talking to Stefan on IM on friday and we were wondering how we could
improve the LDAP Browser and the Connection plugin.
Stefan would like to get rid of the use of JNDI in Studio because of the
problems we have with this API.
He enumerated a number of benefits to using a client "LDAP protocol"
oriented connection wrapper instead of the JNDI one:

   - Direct access to the LDAP protocol
   - Direct access to the result codes (we now must parse the
   NamingException message)
   - Access to the message ID
   - Network settings (timeouts, etc.)
   - Threading
   - Referral handling (JNDI tries to be clever to manage referrals
   internally, but we want to manage them manually)
   - LdapDN handling is poor in JNDI
   - You have to set weird environment variables to make it working properly
   - JNDI has no cancel operation, you must use ctx.close() to cancel an
   operation

We were wondering if the "Codec" classes in Shared would allow us to do such
a thing.

In the afternoon, I talked about this with Emmanuel who told me that most of
the classes of Shared could be reused easily but also that we might need to
add new ones (for SSL/SASL client authentication, or controls/extensions for
example).
He advised me to ask on the ML, so we can discuss things further and see
what can be done with what we have today, and what we nee to work on to
build this low-level LDAP protocol connection wrapper.

WDYT?

Thanks
Pierre-Arnaud