directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Should we vote for every release ? [was : Re: [vote] Release studio-plugin]
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:37:05 GMT

On Sep 17, 2008, at 2:28 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> I would like to start a new thread, because this is an important
> matter.
>
> The question is : do we have to vote every release ?
>
> There are pos and cons.
>
> pros :
> - people will be more aware about changes done in a specific part
> - deploying the jar into maven when a vote has passed is a guarantee
> that the released jar is endorsed by us

- required by the legal basis of the apache foundation, IIUC

> cons :
> - as we have now around 7 projects/sub-projects, plus a couple of
> plugins (actually, 3, AFAIK), this might transform this PMC to a
> vote machine ;)
> - as many of those subprojects are bound to a bigger project, this
> would be overkilling
- violates legal foundations of apache, again IIUC.

> Thsoe pros/cons are just the few things which comes to my mind, so
> feel free to discuss this further, then we may take a decision.
>
> ATM, I think that we just need to vote for Server, Studio, and shared.
> I would like to get your opinion.

Do you have some reason to think that releasing stuff without a pmc
vote is allowed by apache rules?    I really thought that was the one
inalterable and inescapable duty of the PMC.

thanks
david jencks