directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Felix Knecht <>
Subject Re: [Studio] How to speed up build time?
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:59:03 GMT
David Jencks schrieb:
> On Sep 23, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Felix Knecht <
>> <>> wrote:
>>     Well, here's an idea let us see if we can adapt/configure it for
>>     our needs:
>>     Put the *help modules into a separate profile and have it
>>     activated by ? (see [1]). We just need to find an appropriate
>>     activator which fits our needs. We can have e.g. such a timestamp
>>     file (exist or not) to activate to 'help' profile. The
>>     question is just 'How to figure out if something has changed?".
>>     One possibility could be that we create such a file when doing a
>>     build and only delete it when running a new build
>>     including the 'clean' goal -> adapt the clean goal configuration
>>     in such a way that it deletes the timestamp file.
>>     The timestamp file needs to be added to svn:ignore and it's
>>     location can/should be in the *help modules root directory.
>>     As said, just an idea. Maybe there are better solutions.
>> I must have catch the Maven way of thinking, because I was thinking
>> about something pretty similar... Hehe.
>> A special profile that gets triggered when we want, or based on a
>> condition (a file existing [or not] somewhere).
>> We'll see that after I'm done with the Manifests. ;)
> In general the fact that a module hasn't changed doesn't mean it will
> build: the stuff it depends on might have changed to break it.  Thus I
> think CI builds should be complete builds of everything.
> There's been activity recently in maven on enabling dependency based
> partial builds.  IIUC most of this will be in maven 2.1-M2 (it's
> apparently in trunk) and there's a plugin for earlier mavens.  I haven't
> tried it personally yet.... the first experiment I made didn't work and
> I didn't poke very hard to find out what was wrong.

At first glance I don't see how the reactor plugin could help us. We have submodules which
should be built only if there
are any file changes in the specific submodule-


View raw message