directory-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] What's the better approch to move to Apache DS 1.5.4 in the Apache DS plugin?
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:03:44 GMT
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot schrieb:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org
> <mailto:felixk@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     Solution 3:
>     Everybody running  the server plugin already now is able to export his
>     data in LDIF with the 'legacy' studio version.
>     The new studio recognizes if an older server.xml exists -> Create
>     a new
>     server (1.5.4), migrate the server.xml to use and give the user a
>     warning, that he'll need to export LDIF using his legacy studio and
>     import it into the latest version?
>     Migrate what we already can do and show the user the migration
>     path for
>     his existing data and let the user do the migration.
>

> It could also be a solution for people using the RCP app.
> However for people using Studio inside Eclipse, it would be more
> difficult, because it's hard to downgrade to a previous version of a
> plugin.

I already asked the same question within another relation, but I'll rise
it again as the problem has changed.

Why not take another update URL if the server has changed its
definitions. Let the user know (on the d.a.p/studio site) that a new
version of the plugin is available, that the needs to do some user
action for migration and that the update url has changed like e.g.
http://subclipse.tigris.org/ ?