directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Studio] What's the better approch to move to Apache DS 1.5.4 in the Apache DS plugin?
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:56:57 GMT
IMHO, as soon as we are not working on a stable release for the server,
we should do the minimum and avoid polluting Studio with convoluted
migrations.

Allow a user to move his server.xml from 1.5.x to 1.5.5 is ok. Informing
the user that he will have first to export his data and reimport them is
also correct. But I would not go any farther.

I'm almost thinking that only documenting what has changed in the
server.xml file on the web site may be the better solution...

Felix Knecht wrote:
> Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot schrieb:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org
>> <mailto:felixk@apache.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Solution 3:
>>     Everybody running  the server plugin already now is able to export his
>>     data in LDIF with the 'legacy' studio version.
>>     The new studio recognizes if an older server.xml exists -> Create
>>     a new
>>     server (1.5.4), migrate the server.xml to use and give the user a
>>     warning, that he'll need to export LDIF using his legacy studio and
>>     import it into the latest version?
>>     Migrate what we already can do and show the user the migration
>>     path for
>>     his existing data and let the user do the migration.
>>

>> It could also be a solution for people using the RCP app.
>> However for people using Studio inside Eclipse, it would be more
>> difficult, because it's hard to downgrade to a previous version of a
>> plugin.
>>

> That's true. Does eclipse provides a possibility to provide a popup
> before installing an update to make the user aware of the problem he
> could run into?
>

>> There may also be a problem where the user will see multiple times the
>> same server in the Servers view.
>>
>> Pierre-Arnaud

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny