directory-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Release studio-plugin
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 04:33:45 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny schrieb:
> David Jencks wrote:

>>> This would be overkilling, IMO.
>>
>> I think you should ask on legal discuss if you really want to do
>> that.  My understanding is that the legal foundation of the asf
>> involves the strict principle that all releases need to be voted on by
>> the pmc.  You might possibly be able to argue that the TLP pom doesn't
>> include any code or anything copyrightable so doesn't need a vote
>> (although I think such arguments are exceedingly weak and the danger
>> of releasing without a vote is far greater than the nuisance of a
>> vote) but IIUC anything with code in it definitely requires a vote.
> We usually don't release the TLP pom per se, it is only released if one
> other part is released, so we _have_ a formal vote (usually :), for the
> encapsulating project (apacheds, here).

Which IMO is in contradiction to your response when I launched a vote some days ago about
releasing a TLP pom :-). And
it's stated clearly in the dev doc you pointed me to that no vote is needed to release a TLP
pom:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/NdY, chap. 'Corrective Actions to Properly Use the TLP
POM', pt. 6:
"No vote needed for TLP POM release for PMC members - just a notification to release with
4 hour grace period to
accommodate the lack of using SNAPSHOT for this POM"