directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Release studio-plugin
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:46:37 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2008, at 2:21 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>>> <snip/>
>>> I don't completely agree, I think we need a vote for any release we
>>> make to
>>> the Maven repository.
>>>
>> This would be overkilling, IMO.
>
> I think you should ask on legal discuss if you really want to do
> that.  My understanding is that the legal foundation of the asf
> involves the strict principle that all releases need to be voted on by
> the pmc.  You might possibly be able to argue that the TLP pom doesn't
> include any code or anything copyrightable so doesn't need a vote
> (although I think such arguments are exceedingly weak and the danger
> of releasing without a vote is far greater than the nuisance of a
> vote) but IIUC anything with code in it definitely requires a vote.
We usually don't release the TLP pom per se, it is only released if one
other part is released, so we _have_ a formal vote (usually :), for the
encapsulating project (apacheds, here).

What happened recently is just a catch up to fix some maven things in
the TLP pom. We will have to release it if we want to release shared of
apacheds, but until then, I still think it's unnecessary.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org