directory-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should we vote for every release ? [was : Re: [vote] Release studio-plugin]
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:48:14 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny schrieb:
> I would like to start a new thread, because this is an important matter.
>
> The question is : do we have to vote every release ?
>
> There are pos and cons.
>
> pros :
> - people will be more aware about changes done in a specific part
> - deploying the jar into maven when a vote has passed is a guarantee
> that the released jar is endorsed by us
>
> cons :
> - as we have now around 7 projects/sub-projects, plus a couple of
> plugins (actually, 3, AFAIK), this might transform this PMC to a vote
> machine ;)
Hehe 'Release early, release often' :-)
> - as many of those subprojects are bound to a bigger project, this
> would be overkilling
>
> Thsoe pros/cons are just the few things which comes to my mind, so
> feel free to discuss this further, then we may take a decision.
>
> ATM, I think that we just need to vote for Server, Studio, and shared.
> I would like to get your opinion.
If we do so, we should state this somewhere in our documentation.
Doing so we should also state that when one of the projects mentioned
above is released all projectes only based on this one is released as
well ->
- shared
- server (includes implicitly daemon, installer)
- studio (includes implicitly studio-plugin)

Felix