directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Release studio-plugin
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:21:15 GMT
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> <snip/>
> I don't completely agree, I think we need a vote for any release we make to
> the Maven repository.

This would be overkilling, IMO.
> Sometimes people have pending modifications on a project, and having a vote
> before releasing is a great way to avoid releasing something that is not
> complete.

Well, for common jars, I 100% agree (I'm thinking about shared). But for
daemon, which is used by Server only, it does not seems to be necessary.
> With a vote, the developer will be able to indicate that he needs to apply a
> few modifications before the release is OK.

It would be best to add a JIRA, and clean it before the release, when we
start going for a release. With a pending JIRA, there is no way we can
release.

Generally speaking, we are not using JIRA enough for relases. Alex
started to split the roadmap in small parts, and this is a good thing.
Another good thing would be to add JIRAs for each items of those small
parts. (I will try to do that today). The biggest advantage, beside that
it helps us to avoid the situation you are describing, is that we will
have a complet exposure of all the new added features, when we do the
announcement.
> Although, I agree on the fact that we can do grouped votes, like the one I
> did some time ago, where I launched two releases votes (one for Studio and
> one for Shared - as Studio depends on it) in a single thread

+1

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com