directory-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] Eclipse plugin snapshot update
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:54:52 GMT
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot schrieb:
> Well, I was thinking we could tell our users they need to copy/paste
> the content of the 'plugins' and 'features' folders of the ZIP on the
> corresponding folders of their Eclipse installation.
>
> That's not a very difficult task, so I think they can do it easily.
Yes, that's easy. But you pollute your eclipse installation this way
with nightly snapshot you want to be able to change them easily. The way
it's done by jboss you have a link to a directory which is 'static'. The
directory itself can be deleted and/or updated (delete content and unzip
newer nightly snapshot) easier than removing the copied plugins/features
jars from an eclipse installation and recopy the newer ones.
Note that you'll be forced to delete the older jars all because you
never now if the are obsolete within a newer nightly release.

That's way the solution using the link stuff should be proferred IMO.