On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
Hi David,

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 3:07 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
Unfortunately I don't know how compatible spring 2.5 is with xbean-spring and AFAIK no one has changed the documentation recently.  I've heard rumors that spring now has something sort of similar and almost as good as xbean-spring so if true it might be worth switching.

Yeah I looked at the XML schema support but it seems more involved and invasive than using XBean since XBean uses Javadoc tags that do not require any additional dependencies on sources as opposed to using annotations.

If I was doing it over again I'd look into using jaxb rather than spring but I don't know of any actual projects that have succeeded in doing something like this.... it also might tie you to xml more than you like.

Interesting.  Well right now I'm trying not to make major decisions and just trying to upgrade to MINA 2.0.  In doing this I noticed that some classes (which extend MINA classes) you created to make things work well with XBean are not broken because MINA has made their superior types final preventing extension.

errr ... meant to say are now broken.

So I've looked back into the repository and found your old mina-xbean module and am trying to work that to create an XBean usable xsd for MINA.  Perhaps this will help overcome some of the sticky issues with using simple Spring configuration.  I noticed that XBean makes doing constructor injection and other things easier and clearer in general.

So I'm just trying to do the minimum required to be able to migrate to 2.0 but it's not easy for me being a Spring/Xbean novice.  It's great to be able to bounce things off you - appreciate your comments.  Thanks.

Sorry I don't know more

No worries this is good information.  Hope you don't mind my pinging you occasionally as I attempt to do this.  Feeling pretty dumb already :).

Thanks,
Alex

david jencks