Hi Stefan,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:05 AM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org> wrote:
Hi Alex,

I would recommend to pass a monitor object to those cursors and
evaluation loops:

public interface Monitor
{
   public boolean isCanceled();
   public void cancel( String cause );
   public void cancel( Exception cause );
   public Exception getCause();
}

An implementation SearchLimitMonitor could be constructed with the
search time limit and its isCanceled() method then checks if the time
limit is exceeded. Additional it could have a method cancel() that
could be called by a timer thread, if there is such an requirement in
the future.

After some more thought and discussion with Emmanuel I think this technique is much better.  At first I really did not understand the main benefit gained but essentially you get to avoid having to have an external thread calling close().

Essentially the monitor allows injecting new cancellation handling code specific to the situation when the Cursor does not support every case.  This is just much better than having to deal with the synchronization of yet another thread and it's executor queue.

I will implement this now.  Thanks Stefan.

Alex

In the cursors then just check the Monitor.isCanceled(), instead of
compararing the time limit parameters directly. Using this pattern we
are more flexible, we could change the strategy to cancel the search
request by changing the implementation of the monitor.

Kind regards,
Stefan