directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [XBeans] [Spring] Any issue with moving to spring 2.5?
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:02:19 GMT
Hi David,

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 3:07 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Unfortunately I don't know how compatible spring 2.5 is with xbean-spring
> and AFAIK no one has changed the documentation recently.  I've heard rumors
> that spring now has something sort of similar and almost as good as
> xbean-spring so if true it might be worth switching.

Yeah I looked at the XML schema support but it seems more involved and
invasive than using XBean since XBean uses Javadoc tags that do not require
any additional dependencies on sources as opposed to using annotations.

> If I was doing it over again I'd look into using jaxb rather than spring
> but I don't know of any actual projects that have succeeded in doing
> something like this.... it also might tie you to xml more than you like.

Interesting.  Well right now I'm trying not to make major decisions and just
trying to upgrade to MINA 2.0.  In doing this I noticed that some classes
(which extend MINA classes) you created to make things work well with XBean
are not broken because MINA has made their superior types final preventing
extension.

So I've looked back into the repository and found your old mina-xbean module
and am trying to work that to create an XBean usable xsd for MINA.  Perhaps
this will help overcome some of the sticky issues with using simple Spring
configuration.  I noticed that XBean makes doing constructor injection and
other things easier and clearer in general.

So I'm just trying to do the minimum required to be able to migrate to 2.0
but it's not easy for me being a Spring/Xbean novice.  It's great to be able
to bounce things off you - appreciate your comments.  Thanks.

> Sorry I don't know more

No worries this is good information.  Hope you don't mind my pinging you
occasionally as I attempt to do this.  Feeling pretty dumb already :).

Thanks,
Alex

david jencks