directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Mitosis] UUID
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 00:27:37 GMT
On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> In the same spirit than ReplicaID, the UUID class has been written when
> Directory was JDK 1.4 based.
>
> Should we move to the Java 5 java.util.UUID implementation now ?

Good idea yeah.

> Is there any constraints that forbid us to do so ? Also, if we change,
> should we keep the UUID generator, or consider that we will always use the
> UUID instances directly ?

Hmmm I don't remember enough about this - guess we were using some kind of
3rd party jar for this generator.  BTW we need to have UUID being generated
all the time on adds as part of the OperationalAttribute service whether or
not mitosis is enabled.

> Thanks !
>
> PS: We have foru classes, UUID, DefaultUUID, UUIDFactory,
> DefaultUUIDFactory. Question : why do we have a factory and an interface
> when we only have one implementation ? Is it something we should keep, or is
> it just overkilling ? (I'm not trying to argue, just trying to know what is
> the best practice here) Thanks !

I think it's more over designed crap.  Let's axe it - do what you think is
best.

Alex