directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Recommendations for implementing search time limits
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:26:06 GMT
Hi Stefan,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:05 AM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> I would recommend to pass a monitor object to those cursors and
> evaluation loops:
>
> public interface Monitor
> {
>    public boolean isCanceled();
>    public void cancel( String cause );
>    public void cancel( Exception cause );
>    public Exception getCause();
> }
>
> An implementation SearchLimitMonitor could be constructed with the
> search time limit and its isCanceled() method then checks if the time
> limit is exceeded. Additional it could have a method cancel() that
> could be called by a timer thread, if there is such an requirement in
> the future.

After some more thought and discussion with Emmanuel I think this technique
is much better.  At first I really did not understand the main benefit
gained but essentially you get to avoid having to have an external thread
calling close().

Essentially the monitor allows injecting new cancellation handling code
specific to the situation when the Cursor does not support every case.  This
is just much better than having to deal with the synchronization of yet
another thread and it's executor queue.

I will implement this now.  Thanks Stefan.

Alex