directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [ApacheDS] Persistent Search Control and Search Limit Interations
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 03:33:44 GMT
Hi,

I'm working on the search limits handling code now.  I'm looking into the
interaction between persistent search and these limiting parameters for size
and time. I've made some judgment calls that are common sense based but I
wanted to inform the list in case they may not be the correct decisions.
Here's the current behavior I am coding in the SearchHandler.

<temporary-vocabulary>
non-persistent component :
     The portion of search request processing that returns entries before
     the listening for changes begins when the persistent search control
     is present and it's changes only parameter is set to false.

persistent component :
     The portion of search request processing that returns changes when the
     persistent search control is present.
</temporary-vocabulary>

(1) A normal search request has search limits on time and size enforced.
(2) A persistent search request has search limits on time and size enforced
on the non-persistent component of the request.  The time and size limits do
*NOT* apply to the persistent component of the request.

The reasoning behind this is simple.  Search time and size limits were
created in part to protect the server and in part the client from excessive
processing and return results.  The processing intensive component is the
actual non-persistent part of the persistent search if changesOnly is
false.  The persistent component of the search is intended never to end so
why restrict it by time or even size limits.

Alex