directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [bigbang] Bang it's dead!!!
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 04:19:41 GMT
On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Jesse McConnell
<jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com>wrote:

> no worries, its obvious you guys have been really busy on this...do
> you guys think your getting close to api stability now?

Well we've just stripped a bunch of JNDI interfaces which the server was
designed around and created our own interfaces.  This shifted a lot of the
internals of the server.  For example we've replaced the use of
NamingEnumerations with Cursors, the Attributes interface with ServerEntry
interface etc.

I think these new interfaces are going to be it but might change slightly
over time for minor tweaks.  The good thing is our contract with the user
community mandates that we make no API changes (including db structural
changes that impact swapping databases across minor bug fix releases) after
we start with 2.0 release candidates.  So yes we will have to stabilize in
the very near future.  But most of the nastiest changes that will greatly
impact our users are out of the way.  Of course we will have more changes to
API's with each major release but this should not be as dramatic as what
you'll see between 1.0 and 2.0.

2.0 is practically a new LDAP server but it's going to be much more robust,
correct and free of errors.  IMHO 1.0 was just a toy.

So all in all you're probably trying to get a feel for whether or not it's
worth investing the time to migrate now:  if you'll be safe from having to
massively change your code with each subsequent release before 2.0-RC1.  I'm
making the educated guess that yes you'll be for all practical purposes OK
with 1.5.4.

HTH,
Alex