directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Configure a partition without a context entry (was: [ApacheDS] [XBeans] [Spring] Any issue with moving to spring 2.5?)
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:17:44 GMT
Hi Alex!

Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Stefan Zoerner, your wish is my command:
>
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-1237
>
> also ...
>
>    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=689396
> <http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=689396>
>
> Take a look at the stock server.xml and let me know what you think.

Thanks for implementing this that fast. I have tried it out, and it
works. The problem now is that it is harder to get a new partition up
and running for a user. But this is my fault :-)

Anyway, I was able to do this by importing of a little LDIF which looked
like this:

dn: dc=example,dc=com
dc: example
objectClass: top
objectClass: domain

It worked both with a "standard" command line tool and Directory Studio.
But I would prefer to add a special command in Studio. "New entry..."
does not work, if the suffix is built with more than one DN, like
"dc=example,dc=com". And importing would mean that a user has to create
a file.

My favorite is to add a menu item in Studio which is called "New context
entry ...". It should be only available on the "DIT" entry within the
tree. Perhaps PAM or StefanS can help me to refine the requirement here ...

But in general I think the new approach looks much clearer to me. I have
not understood what will happen to a partition definition within
server.xml, if I modify the LDIF after the first start. Will the entry
be modified after restart? I guess not ...

This confusion can't occur with the new approach.

More comments and suggestion on the file later. I would like to document
  my new insights first ;-)

Greetings from Hamburg,
      Stefan