directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject [Mitosis] UUID
Date Sun, 24 Aug 2008 23:17:36 GMT
In the same spirit than ReplicaID, the UUID class has been written when
Directory was JDK 1.4 based.

Should we move to the Java 5 java.util.UUID implementation now ?

Is there any constraints that forbid us to do so ? Also, if we change,
should we keep the UUID generator, or consider that we will always use
the UUID instances directly ?

Thanks !

PS: We have foru classes, UUID, DefaultUUID, UUIDFactory,
DefaultUUIDFactory. Question : why do we have a factory and an interface
when we only have one implementation ? Is it something we should keep,
or is it just overkilling ? (I'm not trying to argue, just trying to
know what is the best practice here) Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org