directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Installers] Some thoughts regarding better organization for installers
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:21:12 GMT
On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Was just looking at the installers project during release and I got some
>> ideas.
>>
>> (1) Perhaps we should break apart this big apacheds module under it into
>> separate installers for:
>>      o server-installer (apacheds module)
>>      o studio-installer (studio module)
>>      o suite-installer (suite module)
>>

> Perhaps we should simply remove the last two installers, and keep only the
> ADS installer.

Why remove them (especially the studio one)?  These installers are not in
the ApacheDS top project.  The installers project is standalone for managing
all our installers.

>  (2) Fix suite installer so it no longer needs to pull installer from a
>> website? Is this even worth doing?
>>

> I think we can doom the suite installer. It does not make a lot of sense
> anyway, now that we have ADS embedded into Studio.

I like the suite installer because it allows for an ApacheDS formal
installation in addition to having it available to start via Studio.  But
you might be right about this.  Wonder what others thinking as well.

Alex