directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [Installers] Some thoughts regarding better organization for installers
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:45:12 GMT
Hi guys,

See inline comments...

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Perhaps we should simply remove the last two installers, and keep only
>>> the
>>> ADS installer.
>>>

>> Why remove them (especially the studio one)?  These installers are not in
>> the ApacheDS top project.  The installers project is standalone for
>> managing
>> all our installers.
>>

> Because Studio already has all the needed installers ?

Studio has its own installers parts in the studio sub-project. Right now
these installers are triggered by hand when creating a release. I believe
this can be automated in Maven. I'll try to do that for our next release
after 1.2.0.

 (2) Fix suite installer so it no longer needs to pull installer from a

>>> website? Is this even worth doing?
>>>

>> I think we can doom the suite installer. It does not make a lot of sense
>> anyway, now that we have ADS embedded into Studio.
>>

> I like the suite installer because it allows for an ApacheDS formal
> installation in addition to having it available to start via Studio.  But
> you might be right about this.  Wonder what others thinking as well.

Yeah, me too. Guys ?

I think we should keep it and fix it, even if it's one more installer to
maintain. I just need to dive into the code and see how we can get integrate
this with the new Maven build of Studio.

I like the idea of having a simple "Combo" installer for Windows which
installs everything Server and Client, even if Apache DS is not embedded in
Studio.

Regards,
P-A