directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Directory Server redistribution with custom schema jar
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:55:20 GMT
niraj patel wrote:
> Hi,

Hi !

> I followed document http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/custom-schema.html to create
new schema to add custom class having custom attributes.

> And I have created jar XYZ.jar and put it in %APACHE_DRECTORY_SERVER_HOME%\lib
>
> Now we have to redistribute apache directory server with newly created jar xyz.jar with
our commercial software.

Cool !

> So, I hve below questions, please answer my questions and if you would add details I
would be obliged

> Is it legal to create custom schema by following this document http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/custom-schema.html?

Absolutely :) And in fact, this is what the ASL 2.0 was written for !

> So do I need to create licence file or notice file before redistributing apache directory
server with this newly created jar xyz.jar ?

Yep. hould not be too complex. But I think you just have to create a
simple Notice attached with your commercial product, plus keep the
license available, with the sources available. Here are the rules you
have to follow :

   1. You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works
      a copy of this License; and

   2. You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices
      stating that You changed the files; and

   3. You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that
      You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution
      notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices
      that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and

   4. If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its
      distribution, then any Derivative Works that You distribute must
      include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained
      within such NOTICE file, excluding those notices that do not
      pertain to any part of the Derivative Works, in at least one of
      the following places: within a NOTICE text file distributed as
      part of the Derivative Works; within the Source form or
      documentation, if provided along with the Derivative Works; or,
      within a display generated by the Derivative Works, if and
      wherever such third-party notices normally appear. The contents of
      the NOTICE file are for informational purposes only and do not
      modify the License. You may add Your own attribution notices
      within Derivative Works that You distribute, alongside or as an
      addendum to the NOTICE text from the Work, provided that such
      additional attribution notices cannot be construed as modifying
      the License.

Just check on : http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

> And if I have to create licence or notice file than what should I include, in other words
what should be the format?

Whatever format as soon as it is readable. Ascii text file is the best.

> Eagerly waiting for reply

If you have any doubt, or further questions, I would engage you to post
a mail to legal-discuss@apache.org, this the the perfect mailing list
for such discussions :

Hope it helps !

PS: it would be interesting for us to know which product you are
embedding ADS in, as we may - yes, I know, it's years we say that ;) -
create a Testimony page. Thanks !

> Thanks,
> Niraj

cordialement, regards,